Monday, July 12, 2010

The Roundtable Discussion

Saturday, July 10th, 8:00 p.m. ~ I'm finally back in my room for the evening. It was a pretty interesting day. As you know from my last post that I went to a Roundtable Discussion with Mr. Ueltschi, the owner of the company. Here are a few things I learned, and no, I didn't keep my mouth shut:

The current 8 Series machines are going to be in the line for at least the next two years. What does this mean to consumers? Feel free to buy an 830 now. They have been out for a while and everyone is feeling very good about the machines and know how to use them properly. The 830 is my favorite Bernina model ever made. :)


Bernina dealers who also carry two other popular sewing machines are becoming increasingly concerned about the financial health of the main company (that has recently changed ownership) and the quality of the machines that are being produced. This actually really disturbs me. First, being in the sewing industry, I never want to see a good competitor go by the wayside. The more companies that are promoting sewing and quilting, the better for everyone that makes a living in the sewing industry. Competition gives consumers more choices and more competition leads to more innovation. Second, I would be devasted as a Bernina owner if I were worried about the future of the Bernina company. Fortuanately for Bernina owners, the Swiss company is sound, profitable and very liquid (cash rich). Also, I think that the company is in very good hands as far as management is concerned. I am extremely impressed with the people I have met from Switzerland and Martin Farve, the President of Bernina of America.


In 2010, Bernina should outsell the Pfaff machines in Germany. That is an interesting concept since Germany is the mother country of the Pfaff machine.


Janome has a machine with a wide throat, similar to the 8 Series, that sells for $3,000. This machine, I am told by a Janome dealer, does not have the features or the stitch quality of the 8 Series machines but it is selling well against the Bernina 820. We were told that even if Bernina wanted to "strip down" all of the features of the 820 and make it a straight stitch-only machine, the production savings would only amount to about 10%. HP says that the "platform" of the machine is what makes it so expensive. This is also what makes the stitch quality so exceptional. I guess what I am saying is the Janome machine is considerably less expensive, but you get what you pay for. I would rather drive an old car and sew on a new Bernina.

Bernina is considered to be a "premium brand" and will not sacrifice quality to sell more units. You can buy a $10,000 Chevy, but you can't buy a $10,000 Porsche.


The 3 Series machines, which were introduced to us at BU, but to Europe in February, are selling EXTREMELY well. I am glad to hear that and I hope those same sales continue in the US. I will get a chance to sew on the 3 Series machines when I am here and I will be ordering the ones for the store before I leave.


Some of the things that I am taking away from today's meeting:


  • I need to find a way to make non-Bernina owners feel more welcome in my store.
  • I need to make people more excited to shop in the store and see what new products we have or what new projects we are working on. (This is part of the reason I started the blog.)
  • I need for more people to find out about the store. (Again, the blog.)
  • I need to work 25 hours a day/8 days a week. (Blog, blog, blog)
  • I need to tidy up around the store and maybe buy Gretchen some decent shelves to display the quilting fabric. (I always feel that way when I come back from BU.)

Now, I am just rambling, so I think I will sleep on this. Maybe tomorrow will bring me a new revelation. Any suggestions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment