Monday, July 12, 2010

The first day of classes at BU

Saturday, 8:00 a.m. ~ I had to get up early this morning and get to my first class. I slept like a baby last night. I am staying in this beautiful condo, thanks to my very generous parents. They have a time-share that I am using. Anyway, I don't know how much people are paying to stay in this condo complex, but I have all of the luxuries from home except, dog hair, dirty laundry and shampoo. Yes, I didn't have shampoo this morning. I washed my hair with Estee Lauder Face Wash. Needless to say, my hair looks dreadful! I'm glad I only know about 200 people here. I will be stopping at the Winn Dixie this evening.

Saturday, 1:15 a.m. ~ What a morning! I had a smaller meeting with all of the people in my district this morning. It appears that either some people didn't come to BU or they didn't come to the meeting. I thought the meeting was mandatory, maybe not. After my meeting I was able to explore the event a little better. I found the area where the vendors are located. Normally, Bernina has vendors coming in that I can buy from. This year the vendors are showing their new ideas, but I have to order it all from Brewer. Not a big deal but I won't be able to bring things home.

First, I talked to the folks from Accu-quilt. I had to complain a little bit because I have ruined two of my dies. I was very discouraged about this product and its workmanship. The representatives from Accu-quilt assured me that it is not common for the dies to become damaged and they are sending me a pre-labeled box to send back anything that I have ruined and they will replace it for me. I am excited to hear that Accu-quilt will be working with quilt designers to make quilted projects that work with embroidery and the pre-cut shapes from the Go! systems. The first project they have is called "Be Dazzled" by Sarah Vedeler. It is designed to be a block of the month, but I am happy to pay for the whole package just to get the 49 embroidery designs. Here is a picture from the BU booth of the new Sarah Vedeler quilt. Sorry that I couldn't take a picture form the front but it was very crowded.. The guy in the green shirt is going to get me the new dies.







Next, I talked to the lady who developed Paintstiks. She has a new book out with some great new products. If you don't know what Paintstiks are, they are acrylic paint in a solid form. I tried to use thse last fall without a lot of success. I got a little one-on-one class and I think I can do it now. I will order the book and have Gretchen teach a little project in the fall. She will do a better job, as she already knows how to stencil. I really think I should hire one of her artsy daughters. Here is the picture I took from the booth. I also took a picture of her stencils.


As I was walking around I ran into Mr. HP Ueltschi (the owner of the company). Do you remember that he came to Pittsburgh and visited two local dealers but did not come to my store? I really called him on the carpet about it and I happened to do it in front of a few people. I told HP that my customers and I felt that nobody cared about my store because I don't sell a lot of machines. HP apologized and said he will come to my store another time. He is a bit of a politician. Anyway, Simon Haskins (Jenny Haskins' son) heard me giving HP the word and Simon gave me a big thumbs up for standing up for myself and my customers.


I met Simon in San Diego about 4 years ago. I doubt if he remembered me but he pretended to have. Look for Jenny Haskins to come out with some new projects for kids soon because Simon is a dad now. He has a 2 year old son, Harvey. He said his "mum" has 3 grandchildren now and is "over the moon". Simon is the one that designed Aquamarine Ambience. Do you remember that book? I told him we sold a lot of his books. Here is a picture of Simon and Margaret, a Certified Jenny Haskins teacher.



This afternoon I am taking a class on software sales and later a roundtable discussion with HP. Since I had my talk with HP, I think I will just sit and listen. Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment